Chapter 2: The chemical senses
Sample Essay Questions
- What do adaptation experiments tell us about the sensory analysis of tastes and smells?
- Compare and contrast the sensory coding of odours and tastes in humans.
- Evaluate the taste primaries and cross-fibre theories of taste coding.
- Evaluate theories of odour identification that use linking propositions based on (i) labelled lines and (ii) population coding.
- How have Sicard and Holley's (1984) experiments shaped theories of odour identification?
- Review the recent research on flavour.
- How important is the hedonic nature of a smell, and why is this so?
- Describe the receptors, sensory pathways, and cortical processing of olfaction.
- What are the functions of olfaction? Give experimental evidence.
- Describe Henning's taste tetrahedron. Is it consistent with current theories of taste coding?